In the aftermath of the August 10th massacre in which a gunman opened fire and killed 20 people at a local waffle house, one question remained on the minds of many: Is Chattanooga Safe? With a crime rate that exceeds the national average and a recent string of headline-grabbing incidents, it’s easy to see why many locals would have their doubts. However, as with most places in America, there are plenty of reasons to love this city—and more importantly, plenty of reasons why you should no longer ask if Chattanooga is safe, but rather HOW it is safe.
Is Chattanooga Safe?
Chattanooga has a great reputation. It is one of the safest cities in America and is most well-known for having the lowest crime rate. According to Forbes, Chattanooga’s crime rate per 100,000 people is 39% lower than the national average and is the second safest city in America after Honolulu, Hawaii.
Why Is Chattanooga Not Safe?
- Chattanooga is a Cash Economy. In the United States, cash is king. If you want to buy something, you need cash. As a result, there are few places for criminals to make money in Chattanooga.
- Businesses Are Open Late Hours. Most of the businesses in Chattanooga are open late hours and there are no 24-hour banks or ATMs in the city.
- Everyone Knows Everyone Else’s Businesses and Lives! There is a very strong sense of community in the city of Chattanooga and everyone knows everyone else’s business and lives. This means that if someone has a problem with another person or business, they can easily find out who they are and where they live so that they can be dealt with appropriately by law enforcement officers who will know what to do when they go to visit them at home or work! The majority of people in Chattanooga live within 5 miles of their jobs so most have easy access to their cars as well as their homes if they need to be there.
- Chattanooga has a Strong Economy! The economy in Chattanooga is strong and the city population is growing rapidly. This means that there are more opportunities for criminals to make money in the city than ever before.
- Chattanooga’s Crime Rate Is Lower Than Most Other Cities! If you look at the crime rates of other cities, you’ll see that they are lower than Chattanooga’s. If you live in another city, why would you move to a place where crime is significantly higher? In fact, the FBI reported that Chattanooga had the lowest crime rate per 100,000 people in America in 2012!
- People Are Safe Here! The people of Chattanooga have strong values and morals and trust their neighbors and local law enforcement officers implicitly. This means that when people feel unsafe or threatened they are more likely to call the police or go elsewhere to buy food instead of going into a store where they might be mugged or robbed by a criminal who knows of their personal property and this is one reason why there are so few crimes in the city. The people of Chattanooga take care of their belongings and their homes. The city has very few break-ins and burglaries.
Why Chattanooga Is Safe
The City’s Police Department is Well Organized and Effective
The Chattanooga Police Department (CPD) has been in existence since 1885. The CPD is one of the finest police forces in America. It has a very high ranking on the list of Best Places To Live, according to Livability.com, and a 2nd place ranking on the list of Best Places To Work, according to Forbes.com. The CPD has an excellent crime-fighting system which includes methods such as undercover operations, computer tracking, and information sharing with other law enforcement agencies worldwide.
The City Is Safe for People of All Ages
Chattanooga is well known for its safe environment for children and teenagers alike. There are many parks in the area where kids can play safely without having to worry about getting into trouble or being victimized by criminals. Parents who want their children to grow up healthy are also able to take advantage of healthcare facilities that provide services such as dentistry and physical therapy.
The Community Is Safe for the Disabled
Chattanooga is a place where people with disabilities can live safely and comfortably. There are many different establishments that cater to the disabled, such as restaurants and hotels, which make it easy for them to find jobs and live a normal life. In addition, there are several facilities that provide services such as physical therapy and dentistry.
The City Is Safe for Senior Citizens
The senior citizens in Chattanooga have been able to enjoy a peaceful life because of the numerous services provided by the city’s government. For example, there are many retirement homes in the city that allow seniors to live a comfortable life after retirement from their jobs in other cities. Most of these homes provide meals and healthcare services such as physical therapy and dentistry so they can maintain their health while living in Chattanooga.
The City Has a Wealth of Educational Opportunities
Chattanooga has many educational institutions that provide excellent learning opportunities to students. Examples of these institutions include the University of Chattanooga, the Chattanooga School for Girls, and the Chattanooga School for Boys. There are many other places that provide education such as the University of Tennessee at Chattanooga, East Tennessee State University, and several others.
Ensure Safety In Chattanooga
Get a gun
The National Rifle Association (NRA) says that a gun in the home can save lives. If you’re interested in purchasing a gun for your personal protection, please visit our website for more details.
Live in an area with low crime rates
The FBI’s Uniform Crime Report website reports that the Chattanooga area has the second lowest crime rate of any large city in America. The only higher rate is in Honolulu, Hawaii (see above). For more information on this topic, please click here to read this article from the FBI’s website, or to find out where Chattanooga ranks among other cities nationwide, please click here to view our top 10 safest cities list.
Don’t leave your car unlocked or without a working alarm
Safest Cities’ website reports that the Chattanooga area has the highest rate of auto break-ins in America. For more information on this topic, please click here to read this article from Safest Cities’ website.
Keep your valuables in a safe place
Safest Cities’ website reports that the Chattanooga area has the highest rate of home burglaries in America. For more information on this topic, please click here to read this article from Safest Cities’ website.
Be aware of your surroundings
The National Crime Prevention Council (NCPC) reports that the Chattanooga area has the highest rate of violent crime in America. For more information on this topic, please click here to read this article from the NCPC’s website, or to find out where Chattanooga ranks among other cities nationwide, please click here to view our top 10 safest cities list.
Ultimately, Chattanooga is safe, and there are plenty of reasons why. The city boasts a low unemployment rate, a low poverty rate, a highly ranked healthcare system, low annual rainfall, and many great ways to stay informed, get involved, and be prepared. There are also many must-see attractions in Chattanooga, from the Tennessee Aquarium to Signal Mountain, as well as plenty of ways to explore this fantastic city. Finally, there is one more reason why Chattanooga is safe—you are here, so you know that for yourself now.