In December of last year, an Instagram bug began deleting likes on photos. Even high-profile users like Selena Gomez and Kim Kardashian West were affected. And while the company fixed the problem fairly quickly, some users are still not able to see likes on their photos. It’s been almost a year since the bug, but you might not know how to see likes on Instagram again if you’re one of the users who has been hit by it. But don’t worry — there is a solution to this frustrating situation. Keep reading for everything you need to know about how to see likes on Instagram again and fix this annoying bug once and for all.
How To See Likes On Instagram Again
- The first way to see likes on Instagram again is to log into your account and click on the “Following” tab.
- Next, click on the gear icon at the bottom of the page. This will open up a drop-down menu that has more options than you might expect. Click on “Settings,” and then scroll down until you see the section called “Following” in blue text.
- In this section, you are going to want to look for an option that says “Show Likes in Following Feed.” This is how Instagram will show your followers that you have liked their posts when they see them in their own feed or when they search for your username or account name in their own search bar. You can also choose not to show them if you prefer, but it makes it easier for people to find you when they are looking for new content from you or someone else who has followed them back. If you choose to not show your likes, you will have to go into your settings and find the “Following” tab again and click on “Show Likes in Following Feed.”
- Once you’ve chosen the setting that you want, click on “Save Changes” at the bottom of the page. You will then see a confirmation message that says “Your changes to your settings have been saved.”
- Next, just log out of your account and then log back in again. This should fix the problem for good! If this doesn’t work for you, try turning off your phone or deleting Instagram from your phone completely — doing so could help prevent other apps from accessing Instagram data through its system files after a wipe or reinstallation of the app. If that doesn’t work, try restarting your phone and/or trying another browser or mobile device as a workaround until Instagram works again on yours.
Why Can’t I See Likes on Instagram?
Instagram is blocking the likes feature for all users
The Instagram team has not officially announced that it is blocking the likes feature for all users, but that’s what a lot of people believe. You can see their reasoning in this blog post they wrote, which states that “likes are now being blocked to prevent spam and abuse.” So if you can’t see likes on your photos anymore, it’s likely that Instagram has decided to block them for everyone.
It’s a glitch in Instagram’s algorithm
While the most likely reason why you can’t see likes on your photos anymore is that Instagram has blocked them for everyone, there are also some theories about why this happened. Many people believe that Instagram deleted the likes from your photos because its servers were overloaded with too many requests from users trying to check their own and other people’s pictures for the first time. And before deleting the likes, Instagram was displaying them on some people’s photos, but not others.
Instagram is adding the likes feature to all users again
In December of last year, Instagram introduced a new algorithm to its platform that affected its likes feature. It also removed the ability for users to see their own likes and follows on Instagram stories. This new algorithm has since been fixed, and Instagram is working on fixing the bug that caused this change to happen in the first place. But until it does, you can’t see your own or other people’s likes anymore either.
Fixing the Instagram Like Bug for Good
- Log in to your Instagram account and go to the Profile tab.
- Click on the Settings icon (the gear icon) at the bottom of the profile page.
- Scroll down to “Account” and click on it.
- Go to “Privacy and Safety” from here and click on it again. After you do so, you should see a new option that says “Hide likes” appear under “Hide posts you’ve liked or commented on.” Click on that option, then click on Save Changes at the bottom of your screen when finished changing your settings.
- Log out of Instagram and log back in.
- Now, you should see all your likes and comments again!
Turn on Showing Recent Likes Only
Change your settings
The first thing you need to do is turn on the option that allows you to see likes on Instagram. To do this, go to your profile and select Edit Profile from the drop-down menu in the top right corner. Scroll down and click on Showing Recent Likes Only. You can also access this feature by going to your profile and clicking on Settings from the drop-down menu in the top right corner.
Change your privacy settings
Next, change your privacy settings so that Instagram will show you who liked a photo after it was posted. To change these settings, go back to your profile and click Privacy Settings from the drop-down menu in the top right corner. Scroll down and make sure that “Show me who liked a post after I’ve posted it” is selected under Who Can Like This Photo? Under Who Can See My Posts?, select Hide From Following or Hide From Following & Notifications Only or Hide From Following & Notifications & Notifications Only.
Turn off notifications for likes on Instagram
You’ll also want to turn off all Instagram notifications for likes because if you receive a notification every time someone likes a photo, you’ll be constantly bombarded with the same notification over and over again. To do this, go to Settings from the drop-down menu in the top right corner and select Notifications from the list of options on the left side. Select No Alerts and then select Save Changes at the bottom of your screen.
Turn off liking on Instagram from your mobile browser
If you use your mobile browser more than your desktop browser, it might be best to turn off liking on Instagram there as well. This way you won’t get any annoying notifications while using your phone or tablet instead of your computer. To do this, go to your profile and click Privacy Settings from the drop-down menu in the top right select Notifications from the drop-down menu in the top right corner. Scroll down and make sure that “Receive Notifications” is selected under Showing Recent Likes Only.
Unfortunately, this bug has yet to be resolved. Until Instagram can fix it, you’ll have to take some extra steps in order to see likes on Instagram again. Luckily, there are several ways to see likes on Instagram again until Instagram can fix the problem. One way you can fix the Instagram-like bug is by turning on “show recent likes only.” Another solution is to enable notifications for new posts. It’s unclear how long Instagram will take to fix the bug and regain users’ ability to see likes on Instagram again, but in the meantime, we recommend that you try one or all of these solutions to see likes on Instagram again.