The Los Angeles Raiders won Super Bowl XVIII in 1984, Super Bowl XXXV in 2001, and Super Bowl XLVIII in 2003. The Raiders are one of only three teams to have won the Super Bowl in two different decades. The Raiders also happen to be the NFL team with the weirdest history. Their stat sheet is filled with crazy ups and downs, which makes them part tragic hero, part comic relief. But no matter what you think about the team, there’s no denying that the Silver and Black have some serious championship pedigree. This article takes a look at how many Super Bowl wins the Oakland Raiders have.
How Many Super Bowl Wins Do The Raiders Have?
The Raiders have won three Super Bowls. They won their first Super Bowl in January 1977, defeating the Minnesota Vikings 32-14. They won their second Super Bowl in January 1981, defeating the Philadelphia Eagles 27-10. And they won their third Super Bowl in January 2003, defeating the Tampa Bay Buccaneers 48-21.
What Is Your Favorite Raiders Super Bowl Win?
1. Super Bowl XVIII
The Raiders had their first Super Bowl win in their final season in Oakland. They beat the Washington Redskins in a game that was played at the Rose Bowl in Pasadena, California. The Raiders won by a score of 33-14.
2. Super Bowl XXXV
The Raiders came back from not only an 0-2 start to the season but also from a 12-point deficit against the Broncos in Super Bowl XXXIV. The Raiders rallied to win by a score of 43-8 and became just the second team ever to come back from an 0-2 start to win it all (the first being the 1972 Miami Dolphins). It was also the first time that two different teams were playing for Super Bowl MVP honors. Rich Gannon won for his performance against Denver, while Terrell Davis took home MVP honors for his performance against Oakland.
3. Super Bowl XLVIII
The Raiders were a 2-point underdog against the Seahawks in Super Bowl XLVIII. The Seahawks were playing their first-ever Super Bowl, while the Raiders were looking to become just the second team ever to win back-to-back Super Bowls. But Seattle was too much for Oakland and they ended up losing by a score of 43-8.
4. Super Bowl XVII
The Raiders had their second straight appearance in the Super Bowl and this time they’d be taking on the Redskins in 1978. The game was played at RFK Stadium in Washington D.C., which happened to be one of only two venues that had hosted multiple Super Bowls at the time (the other being Houston’s Astrodome ). The Redskins won by a score of 24-7 and became just the third team ever to win three straight titles (the first two being Pittsburgh and Dallas).
5. Super Bowl XI
The Raiders appeared in their second straight Super Bowl in Washington D.C. and the Raiders were just too much for their opponents, winning by a score of 26-10.hington and the Raiders trailed 17-7 at halftime. But they came back to win by a score of 24-7.
6. Super Bowl XV
The Raiders were heavy favorites against the Vikings in Super Bowl XV. But it turned out to be a memorable game the Raiders came up just short in. The Vikings scored a touchdown late in the fourth quarter to take it to overtime and then won by a score of 23-14.
Who Is The Best Raiders Qb Of All Time?
1. Rich Gannon
Gannon was a two-time Pro Bowl selection who retired in 2007 after a 17-year career. He led the Raiders to three Super Bowl appearances, winning one of them. Gannon holds the NFL record for most consecutive passes without an interception, which spans over 4,000 yards. He was also the first quarterback to ever lead the league in passing yards and touchdown passes in the same season. Gannon still holds many NFL records today, including the most pass attempts in a single game (72), most pass completions in a game (31), and most pass attempts without an interception (410). In 1995, Gannon became just the fifth quarterback to throw for more than 5,000 yards in a season.
2. Jim Plunkett
Plunkett played for three different teams during his 12-year career – Oakland/Los Angeles Raiders (1970-1976), New England Patriots (1977-1978), and New York Jets (1979-1982). His career was cut short by a shoulder injury. Plunkett finished his career with 72 touchdown passes, 2,671 yards, and a passer rating of 93.5. He is currently the NFL’s all-time leader in passing touchdowns while being the only quarterback to ever throw for over 6,000 yards in a season.
3. Ken Stabler
Stabler was the Raiders’ starting quarterback at the time of their Super Bowl victory in 1976. He played for Oakland from 1967 to 1979 and led them to two Super Bowl victories against the Cowboys (XVII) and Steelers (XIX). He holds many NFL records today, including most wins as a starting quarterback (46), most season winning percentage (82%), most games started as a starting quarterback (100), most consecutive games played without an interception (193), most passes without an interception in a single game (16), and highest passer rating for three consecutive seasons.
Where Are The Raiders Now?
- They have a total of 3 Super Bowls.
- They won Super Bowl XVIII in 1984, Super Bowl XXXV in 2001, and Super Bowl XLVIII in 2003.
- They are the only team to have won the Super Bowl in two different decades.
How Many Super Bowl Wins Do The Raiders Have
- Raiders – 3 (1984, 2001, 2003)
- Patriots – 3 (2002, 2004, 2005)
- Cowboys – 2 (1992, 1993)
- Steelers – 2 (1979, 2008)
What’s Next For The Raiders?
- The Raiders are the oldest franchise in the NFL. They were founded in Oakland in 1929 as the “Oakland Seals.” They moved to Los Angeles in 1982 and changed their name to “Raiders” the next year.
- The Raiders have won one Super Bowl title and lost five. The only other team to win a Super Bowl with five losses is the New England Patriots, who also have five Super Bowl titles.
- There are a lot of ways to win a Super Bowl, but there aren’t many ways to lose them all at once. This is how many ways you can lose a Super Bowl: First, you can lose by one point, two points, three points, or four points (this happened twice). If you lose by seven or more points, it’s considered an upset (this happened three times). Finally, if you get shut out of the playoffs (which happened four times) or don’t make the playoffs at all (which happened twice), it’s considered a failure.
- The Raiders are one of only five teams to have won a Super Bowl without ever winning a playoff game. The other four teams are the Patriots, Colts, Giants, and 49ers.
- The Raiders had their first Super Bowl win in what was then known as the “AFL” in 1976 when they beat the Minnesota Vikings 21-17 in Super Bowl XI. This is also the only time that two AFL teams have won Super Bowls together (the Cleveland Browns were in their second year of existence at this point).
- The Raiders have lost five Super Bowls by three points or less: Super Bowl XV, XVIII, XIX, XXX, and XLVIII. They also lost by seven points after winning their first championship in 1976 (XVII).
The Raiders have been to the Super Bowl three times, but they’ve only won twice. The Raiders have been a powerhouse in the AFC West, but they haven’t been able to win the big game against the Patriots or the Steelers. If the Raiders want to win a Super Bowl, they’ll need to find a way to get past those two teams. Otherwise, the Raiders will go down as one of the best teams in the AFC who never found a way to win the big one. With a talented roster, the Raiders are definitely a team to watch out for. They’re a good bet to make it back to the Super Bowl, but it’s unclear whether or not they have what it takes to win.