Are you an avid Apple user? If so, you’ve probably purchased a range of different devices for your home and office. These devices can be expensive, which is why so many people search for ways to cut costs wherever possible. One way to do this is by repurposing old technology to serve another purpose. For example, you may have old mobile devices that no longer meet your needs. Or perhaps, like many other people, you have an unopened Apple Pencil that you don’t need anymore because you upgraded your tablet device or computer. You can also repurpose your Apple Pencil in a different way—by using it to charge your iPhone! If you use your iOS device frequently throughout the day and often find yourself with a dying battery, this article will come in handy. We’ll show you how to charge your iPhone with an Apple Pencil and vice versa. Keep reading to learn more!
Can I Charge My Apple Pencil With iPhone?
No, you cannot charge your Apple Pencil with your iPhone. The Apple Pencil is designed to be charged with the included Lightning adapter, or by connecting it to the iPad Pro via the Lightning connector.
How To Charge Your Iphone With An Apple Pencil
Buy an Apple Pencil Charger
If you want to charge your iPhone with an Apple Pencil, you’ll first need to buy a charger. This is a great option because it can be used for both the Apple Pencil and your iPhone simultaneously. It’s also very affordable, costing less than $15 at the time of writing.
Plugin Your Charger
Simply plugging in the Apple Pencil charger will allow it to charge the device you plugged it into. If you have an iPad or another device that uses its own Lightning cable, then you will need to purchase a separate adapter in order to plug your charger into that particular device. You can find this adapter on Amazon for around $7, which is also very affordable!
Charge Your iPhone With Your Apple Pencil
When you’re ready to charge your iPhone with your Apple Pencil, simply plug both into their respective chargers and connect them together using the cable provided by each manufacturer (Apple or third-party). Connecting them together will cause them to start charging at once. Keep in mind that charging speeds may vary between each brand of the charger and each individual model of the iOS device—so make sure that you are using the correct charger for your specific device!
Unplug Your iPhone From Your Apple Pencil Charger
Lastly, when you’re finished charging your iPhone with your Apple Pencil charger, unplug it from the device. This will allow both devices to continue functioning normally and will also prevent any damage to either of them due to overcharging.
Why You Shouldn’t Charge your iPhone with an Apple Pencil
First, it’s important to note that there are many dangers involved with using an Apple Pencil to charge your iPhone. You may come across a situation where your device unexpectedly shuts off or if you plug it in the wrong way, the metal prongs could puncture through the protective rubber case of your device. If that happens, you may be left without power for a long time and might even end up with an electrical shock. That’s why you shouldn’t charge any devices with Apple Pencils; they are too dangerous to use as chargers.
It Takes Too Long
The charging process takes longer when using an Apple Pencil as compared to other chargers like USB-C cables and wall plugs. This is because it takes several minutes for your device to recognize the new charger, so it will take time before your battery can be fully charged. Also, if you don’t have a fast-charging charger like Qualcomm Quick Charge 3+, the process will take much longer than if you were charging with another type of charger. This is not only inconvenient but also wasteful since you won’t be able to fully use your device while it is charging—we recommend using a faster charger whenever possible!
It’s Not Safe for Your Device
If you choose to charge your iPhone with an Apple Pencil, it’s important to keep in mind that the two different types of devices will not be able to communicate with each other. This means that your iPhone won’t be able to receive notifications or text messages from your Apple Pencil.
It Takes Up Space
If you want to charge your iPhone with an Apple Pencil, you need to make sure that the device will fit into the charging port of your iOS device. Since this is not always the case, it’s important to keep in mind that you’ll have to remove it from your device before charging. If you don’t have a spare Apple Pencil lying around, you can use another charger instead.
How To Charge Your iPhone And Apple Pencil Together
- Connect the Apple Pencil to your iOS device.
- Select the Settings app on your iPhone and go to the “General” section.
- Tap on “About” and then go to the “Battery” section. Scroll down until you see “Battery Life,” which should say something like “Up to x minutes of talk time, up to y hours of Internet use, or up to z hours of video playback with 3G or LTE turned on.” This is your battery life estimate based on how long you plan on using your device each day—this will be different for everyone depending on how you use it!
- Find a number that works for you. The Apple Pencil can charge your iPhone at this point! Tap it in order to add it as a new battery source in settings. This will allow your iPhone to charge with the Pencil instead of charging from its internal battery only—which is what most people do when they want their phone charged quickly or want more juice for a longer period of time without having to plug it in every single day (which is kind of annoying). Now, when you plug the iPhone into any charger that has a USB port, it will charge using the Apple Pencil—and vice versa! How cool is that? You can even check out our other article where we show you how to get more life out of an old iPhone battery!
- If you want to charge the Apple Pencil, you can also plug it into an empty USB port on your computer! Just be sure that the device you’re using has a compatible USB port.
- You can also charge your Apple Pencil and the iPhone at the same time by using a third-party charging device that is specifically made for this purpose—such as this one from Anker. The Anker PowerPort 6 is compatible with all Apple devices and works with their charging cable so you don’t have to buy a separate one or use one of those stand-alone chargers that most people already have on hand. It has enough power to both charge an iPhone and an Apple Pencil at the same time, which means you get extra juice for your devices without having to buy another charger or cable!
We hope that you’ve learned a thing or two about how you can use your old Apple Pencil to charge your iPhone. If you still have an Apple Pencil and no longer use it, don’t throw it out! You can repurpose it to charge your iPhone and save yourself some cash. Alternatively, you can repurpose your old iPhone by using it to charge the Apple Pencil. Once you’ve used these devices to charge one another, they’ll be too old to repurpose again. At that point, we recommend recycling them.