City leaders dedicated the refurbished carousel at John Chavis Park Saturday.
The carousel first opened at Chavis Park in 1937 at a time when African Americans had limited access to Raleigh’s Pullen Park. Chavis Park attracted people from around the state.
The now fully restored Allan Herschell Carousel and Wurlitzer 146A Band Organ stand in a new building with views of the city skyline. Saturday’s presenters included Helen Chavis Othow, a descendant of John Chavis and the author of a book on his life.
Funding for the $1.8 million project came mainly from a 2003 parks bond.
Click an image to view full size.