The Ironman Triathlon Sunday in Raleigh will affect several roads as contestants bike, swim and run their way across Chatham and Wake counties.
More than 2,700 people from 15 countries and 43 states have registered for the Ironman 70.3 Triathlon. The race begins at 7 a.m. at Jordan Lake with a 1.2-mile swim. Racers then begin a 56-mile bike ride to downtown Raleigh.
Riders will enter Raleigh’s city limits on Lake Wheeler Road at Tryon Road. They will travel north and then turn left on South Saunders Street and then turn right on South Street. A transition area will be in place between Salisbury Street and Wilmington Street for the final leg – a 13.1 mile half-marathon.
The race is expected to impact traffic in Raleigh from 9 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. Police will be present to direct traffic along the route.
Map of Ironman Road Closures in Downtown Raleigh
View Ironman Road Closures in a larger map
• Fayetteville Street between Davie Street and Lenoir Street will be closed from 6 a.m. on June 1 until 11 p.m. on June 2;
• The right lane of U.S. 64 between Pea Ridge and Beaver Creek will be closed from 7 a.m. to 10 a.m. on June 2;
• The right lane of N.C. 55 Bypass between Avent Ferry Road and Old Smithfield Road heading north from 8 a.m. to 12 p.m.;
• Lake Wheeler Road north of Tryon Road from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.;
• Exits along the I-440 Beltline to Lake Wheeler Road from 9 a.m. to 1:30 p.m.;
• South Saunders Street between Lake Wheeler Road and South Street from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.;
• South Street between South Saunders Street and Wilmington Street from 9 a.m. to 2 p.m.;
• The left lane of Wilmington Street between South Street and Edenton Street from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.;
• The left lane of Edenton Street between Wilmington Street and Salisbury Street from 9 a.m. to 3 p.m.;
• Salisbury Street from Edenton Street to Hillsborough Street from 9 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.;
• Hillsborough Street from Salisbury Street to Meredith College from 9 a.m. to 4 p.m.;
• House Creek Greenway Trail from Meredith College to the Art Museum from 10 a.m. to 4 p.m.; and,
• Fayetteville Street from Morgan Street to Lenoir Street from 10 a.m. to 5 p.m.
Ironman Race Brochure with Maps