District C’s Carr Off Ballot, Could Face Charges

Print More

The Wake County Board of Elections Thursday disqualified Lent Carr’s candidacy for the Raleigh City Council’s District C seat because he was still on probation when he filed to run. The board forwarded the case to the Wake County District Attorney because Carr certified that he was an eligible voter when he was not.

Federal marshals arrested Carr earlier this month for violating his probation on federal bank fraud charges. He is now serving a seven-month term.

Bruce Lightner, the son of Raleigh’s first black mayor, filed the challenge because, he said, Carr’s ineligible to vote and having his name on the ballot could confuse voters. Lightner said there is a “crowded field in District C” and allowing Carr’s name on the ballot could affect the election.

Now that Carr is off the ballot, District C voters will have five candidates to choose from.

Cherie Poucher, director for the Wake elections board, submitted Carr’s voter registration form into evidence and said he signed the box to certify that he was eligible to vote. In North Carolina, people convicted of felonies are not eligible to vote until they have served their terms and finished any probation.

Federal court records show that Carr had not finished serving his probation for a 2000 bank fraud conviction. That means Carr could face a Class I felony charge for lying on the registration form. Class I felonies could lead to up to a year in jail.

Comments are closed.